I don't seem to remember much about my childhood but there are a few things I think I do remember. I spent 10 years of my life living on a little piece of property in Ogden, Utah (Wilson Lane) with my parents, sister G and brother JG. We had a couple cows and bulls, rabbits, geese, a ton of cats (at least it seem like a ton) and my favorite, sheep.As kids we used to help dad put the rubber bands around the babies tails so that they would fall off. When they did, we went around and picked them up. I had my very own sheep. She was a white faced ewe named Susie. Sometimes we were able to feed the lambs with bottles. I remember they seemed pretty strong for little sheep.
One buck sheep we had was a mean dude. For some reason he didn't care too much for the color green. He pretty much chased anyone but especially anyone wearing green. Many attempts were made to deter his ramming. One time he even received a pitch fork to the forehead. That didn't stop him. I can't remember what happened to him.
The geese liked to chase people as well. And Oh! the smell of rotten geese eggs. Yuck!!! Never did get used to that smell. Cattle I can handle, not rotten eggs.
I remember going camping, fishing and deer hunting every year. We would pack up the trailer and head up with family and friends to the Uintah Mountains. Rainbow Trout is what we caught. I can remember in the fall during the deer hunt waking up early in the morning and feeling the cold, wet air outside. Dad was long gone by the time I got up and it sure seemed early.
We used to go up the mountains for a day and cut our own firewood with friends. Two or three big trucks and/or trailers to fill. I don't know for sure if all of us kids that were there were much help. I remember working harder at taking breaks and find bugs than actually stacking the wood in the vehicles.
Dad taught me how to fish. Dad taught me how to shoot a bow and arrow, ride a motorcycle, ride a pony (we always had a pony), catch a water snake and much, much more. Dad did everything and I loved to watch and learn.
I feel guilty sometimes because KD has never been able to experience the things that I did during my childhood. My kids haven't had the opportunity yet and I don't know if they will. As much as I desire for them to experience it, things just don't seem as easy as they were back then. Of course, I was only a child and I'm sure dad and mom didn't think things were that easy but they always made sure it happened.
We moved to the state of Washington when I was 11 years old. We didn't have the room for big animals, just our dog, Duffy, and a cat. It was a small town and a nice place to live but we didn't go camping like we used. Things were different.
I haven't seen the house on Wilson Lane for years. I often wonder if it looks the same. I wonder if it still has the great big garage that dad built with the concrete floor that my sister and I were going to make into a roller skating rink. Does it still have the slabs of concrete where G, myself and a friend decided to use one of mom pots to build our own camp fire one night. Or, does it still have the great little play house in the back yard that dad built for us.
I've recently learned of some adventures that my father had as a young man. Things I never, ever dreamed my dad would do. Things my dad won't admit to even now. These are stories that mom tells me about that she knows of first hand or hears when dad gets together with his old buddies and they reminisce. I've come to realize that I need to share my childhood with my children. I've never been one who is really good at keeping a journal or diary and now I wish I were.
No comments:
Post a Comment