Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Green Day

I know what you are all thinking, Green Day, we just had Earth Day. Well, I am talking about a different type of Green Day.

My eight year old son has a system in his 2nd grade class for tracking their behavior each day. Green means you have had a great day. Yellow means that you misbehaved (didn't do what you were told, were playing around in class, etc.) Red means you had a really, really, really bad behavior day (hitting another classmate is a good example). The goal is to have green days for the entire month so that you can be a Super Star. Being a Super Star means that your name is placed on the board at the front of the class room with the big star. You also get to leave the room without a hall pass. I'm sure there are other benefits but my dear son isn't great with the information.

My son was having a great month (all green) until yesterday. Here is how the conversation went this morning:

Son: Um Mom, I'm sorry I was in yellow yesterday.
Mom: Why did you have a yellow day yesterday son? And why didn't you tell me yesterday?
Son: Because I was playing around in class. (no answer to second question)

Conversation as soon as he walked in the door from school today:

Son: MOM!!! I HAD A GREEN DAY TODAY!!
Mom: I'm proud of you son!

Wouldn't it be great if we all could have a system like this? I have been thinking about this quite a bit since this morning's conversation and I wonder what color of day I would have every day. Would I be a Super Star at the end of the month? Maybe the "powers that be" at work could use this system for employees. I was thinking about tracking my own green days but I probably should come up with some guidelines and then ask someone else to rate my days.

How many GREEN DAYS would you have?

2 comments:

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Ummm....I'm afraid that today was a red day.

The more I think about this - we should do this in the department. I could color code everyone!

Shana said...

you should totally suggest this to Jill... ha ha ha!!